Level TOEFL - Lesson 124Reading and answers the question:
Medical bills in the United States have risen outrageously since the1. What is the subject of this passage?
beginning of the 1960's, and steps need to be taken to reverse this
trend or the average American will not be able to afford medical
care. The major factor in increasing the cost of medical care has
5 been the dramatic increase in the cost of hospital services. The
rise in the cost of hospitalization can be only partly blamed on
inflation since hospital bills in the last two decades have risen
at a considerably higher rate than inflation. Another factor cited
by doctors as a major cause for the increase in the cost of medical
10 care is malpractice. Increasingly large awards for malpractice have
caused doctors to increase their rates to cover the higher malpractice
insurance premiums. Because of the large malpractice awards, doctors
are also prescribing more conservative and more extensive-and therefore
more costly-treatment for patients as a defense against malpractice
15 claims. Whatever the causes of the wild increases in the cost of
medical care, the government needs to take strong action before it
is too late for Americans.
2. According to the passage, how does the author of this passage feel about the tremendous increase in medical bills?
3. How does the author seem to feel about the tremendous increase in medical bills?
4. The passage implies that a slowing in inflation would have what kind of effect on medical costs?
5. Which of the following is NOT stated in the passage concerning malpractice?
6. What is the author's main point in this passage?
7. What does the paragraph following this passage most likely contain?