Reading and answers the question: Desert tundra, or cold desert, occurs on the Arctic edges of North America, Europe, and Asia. In these areas the near eternal freezing temperatures cause an environment in which plant life is virtually impossible. The existence of ice rather than water for the majority 5 of the year means that vegetation lacks sufficient moisture for growth.
During the short period of time when the temperature increases enough for the ice to melt, there is generally a large volume of water. This excess of water, coupled with a lack of drainage through the frozen subsoil, does not allow vegetation to flourish.
1. What would be the most appropriate title for the passage?
2. According to the passage, desert tundra is found
3. According to the passage, what makes plant life almost impossible in areas of desert tundra during most of the year?
4. Which of the following happens when the weather heats up?
5. According to the passage, why can't the water drain after it melts?