Reading and answers the question: It takes a long time to raise a family of owlets, so the great horned
owl begins early in the year. In January and February, or as late
as March in the North, the male calls to the female with a resonant
hoot. The female is larger than the male. She sometimes reaches a
5 body length of twenty-two to twenty-four inches, with a wingspread
up to fifty inches. To impress her, the male does a strange courtship
dance. He bobs. He bows. He ruffles his feathers and hops around
with an important air. He flutters from limb to limb and makes flying
sorties into the air. Sometimes he returns with an offering of food.
10 They share the repast, after which she joins the dance, hopping and
bobbing about as though keeping time to the beat of an inner drum.
Owls are poor home builders. They prefer to nest in a large hollow
in a tree or even to occupy the deserted nest of a hawk or crow.
15 These structures are large and rough, built of sticks and bark and
lined with leaves and feathers. Sometimes owls nest on a rocky ledge,
or even on the bare ground. even to occupy the deserted nest of a
hawk or crow. These structures are large and rough, built of sticks
and bark and lined with leaves and feathers. Sometimes owls nest
20 on a rocky ledge, or even on the bare ground. The mother lays two
or three round, dull white eggs. Then she stoically settles herself
on the nest and spreads her feather skirts about her to protect her
precious charges from snow and cold.
25 It is five weeks before the first downy white owlet pecks its way
out of the shell. As the young birds feather out, they look like
wise old men with their wide eyes and quizzical expressions. They
clamor for food and keep the parents busy supplying mice, squirrels,
rabbits, crayfish, and beetles. Later in the season baby crows are
30 taken. Migrating songsters, waterfowl, and game birds all fall prey
to the hungry family. It is nearly ten weeks before fledglings leave
the nest to search for their own food. The parent birds weary of
family life by November and drive the young owls away to establish
hunting ranges of their own.1. What is the topic of this passage?
2. In line 3-4, the phrase "a resonant hoot" is closest in meaning to
3. It can be inferred from the passage that the courtship of great horned owls
4. According to the passage, great horned owls
5. According to the passage, which of the following is the mother owl's job?
6. The phrase "precious charges" in lines 23 refers to
7. According to the passage, young owlets eat everything EXCEPT
8. In line 27, the word "they" refers to
9. What can be inferred from the passage about the adult parents of the young great horned owls?
10. The phrase "weary of" in line 32 is closest in meaning to