TOEFL Level - Lesson 271. ________ owe much of their success as a group to their unusual powers of migration.
2. Even if the unemployment rate ________ sharply, the drop may still be temporary.
3. June was very angry that her mail from home ________.
4. His wife ________ told that he had had an accident.
5. The freshman read an advertisement ________ the newspaper about an apartment to rent.
6. They went to the store to buy knives, forks, spoons and ________.
7. Many of the current international problems we are now facing ________.
8. The crime rate has continued to rise in American cities despite efforts on the part of both government and private citizens to curb ________.
9. ________ of commodities by air began in the 1920s at the same time as airmail service.
10. Thirty-eight national sites are known as parks, another eighty-two as monuments, and ________.
11. ________ daily promotes physical as well as emotional well-being in people of all ages.
12. Although the scientific community had hoped that the field of transplantation ________ , the shortage of organ donors has curtailed research.
13. ________ apples are grown in Washington State.
14. Countries may ________ the World Bank for development projects.
15. The average elevation of the Himalayas is twenty thousand feet, and Mount Everest ________ to more than twenty-nine thousand feet at its apex.
16. ________ migrate long distances is well documented.
17. To relieve pressure in the skull, ________ into the blood.
18. A slipped disk is a condition ________ the intervertebral disk protrudes and presses on nerves.
19. The pirate Jean Lafitte offered his services to the U.S. government in the War of 1812, ________ in 1815, and received a full pardon from President James Madison.
20. The facilities of the older hospital________