TOEFL Level - Lesson 311. ________ Java Man, who lived before the first Ice Age,is the first manlike animal.
2. Each mediocre book we read means one less great book that we would otherwise have a chance ________.
3. It is possible ________ may assist some trees in saving water in the winter.
4. John walked by the professor's office ________ would be in.
5. The chairman arrived ________ than all the other board members.
6. The cockroach ________ disease wherever it goes is regarded as a danger to public health even though it does not bite or sting.
7. California relies heavily on income from fruit crops, and ________.
8. ________ he began to make friends more easily.
9. Warmth, moisture, and oxygen are three neces-sary requirements ________ most seedlings.
10. It costs about thirty dollars to have a tooth ________
11. Due primarily to ________ the Oneida Community broke up in 1880.
12. The examiner made us ________ our identification in order to be admitted to the test center.
13. Trapeze artists usually rely on safety nets ________ through the air.
14. ________ have captured the spirit of the conquest of America as well as James Fenimore Cooper.
15. One purpose ________ to decide if there is sufficient evidence to try a person for a crime.
16. ________ jellies, jams are made by retaining the pulp with the fruit juice.
17. Water, ________ is also one of the most abundant compounds on earth.
18. According to recent investigations, unselfish motives, such as true empathy, ________ , and commitment to a principle, sometimes surpass self-interest in influencing human behavior.
19. The role of the mass media in influencing public policy decisions, maintaining or changing the status quo of our society, and ________ outlets for all types of views is enormous.
20. Public television stations are different from commercial stations ________.